Post-graduate prize: €750 (second prize: €350)
Under-graduate prize: €500 (second prize: €250)
This is the first in a hopefully annual essay competition sponsored by the Iona Institute. The prize aims at promoting the values and beliefs of the Iona Institute.
Essays can cover such topics as:
– the right to life of the unborn and/or the old and the infirm
– Church-State relations
– religion in public life
– conscience rights of religious believers
– the rights of faith-based schools
– the family based on the marriage of a man and a woman
Rules and Regulations are as follows:
- The competition is open to third level students of any discipline from Ireland or studying in an Irish third level institution.
- Essays on any topic related to the work of the Iona Institute (listed above) are eligible for entry.
- The prize is divided into two categories: undergraduate and postgraduate.
- Each participant shall be permitted to submit only one individual entry.
- Submission must not exceed 3000 words (exclusive of footnotes) for undergraduate submissions and 7000 words (exclusive of footnotes) for postgraduate submissions.
- All entries must be original works. Multi-authored essays will be accepted.
- The entry may have been previously published. Copyright in the work will remain with the writer.
- Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the essay and the author’s name and college/university’s name.
- A short curriculum vitae should be attached to the essay.
- The deadline for submission is 31st August, 2017.
- All the entries must be sent in electronic form to email@example.com .
- Essays will be judged on their merits, including, but not limited to, clarity of argument and presentation, quality and depth of argument, and interest and significance of thesis.
- Submissions will be judged by a panel of academics. The identity of the judges will be revealed only when the winners are announced.
- Any type of non-compliance with the deadlines will result into disqualification. No request for extension will be entertained under any circumstance.
- The organisers reserve the right to vary, alter, modify or repeal any of the above rules if so required and as they deem appropriate.
- If there arises any situation that is not contemplated in the rules, the organisers decision on the same shall be final.
- The organisers reserve the absolute right to cancel, defer or postpone indefinitely, the competition.
- Prize results are final once announced.
- For further clarifications, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The best essays will be published in a Souvenir Book and distributed at the awarding ceremony.